Translate this page



  • livegeelong banner


If you need accommodation, have concerns regarding your tenancy rights or are having difficulty paying your rents, this information may assist:

  • If you are in need of accommodation, speak with your education provider. If you are a Deakin University student, the Houseme database is a free place for students to search for off campus accommodation near all the Deakin campuses.
  • Rent relief grants for renters experiencing rental hardship as a result of the COVID-19 crisis are available. There are no citizenship or permanent residency requirements for applicants, so international students may apply, but you must meet certain criteria. For further information: - THIS IS NOW CLOSED
  • Students who are experiencing a temporary financial crisis and can demonstrate they are on a low income can apply for relief grants to pay overdue gas, electricity or water bills. Visit the DHHS website to find out more.
  • Study Melbourne's International Student Accommodation Legal Service offers a free, confidential and independent help for international students with accommodation issues, including those students who remain or have returned overseas.
  • The Australian Homestay Network has a program called the International Student Support Network to provide short-term, discounted homestay to eligible international students impacted by Covid-19.
  • Ask Izzy is a mobile website that connects people who are in crisis with the services they need right now and nearby, such as shelter, food, health.

Family Violence and safety at home

It is important for anyone experiencing family violence to know that family violence is never ok, no matter the circumstances or situation. Victoria Police has indicated that their family violence response will not change as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

  • Call police on 000 in an emergency
  • Contact The Orange Door: 1800 312 820 (people of any age, gender, sexuality, culture and ability are welcome) 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday except public holidays
  • Contact SAFE STEPS: 1800 015 188 If you are a woman or women with children experiencing family violence and you are in need of immediate help. This is a Statewide service and operates 24 hour, 7 days a week.
  • Should you need support to help stop you using violence against your family please contact: 1300 766 491.

Last Modified: 31.05.21